Saturday 12 July 2008

11th Rainforest World Music Festival

I finally attended the RWMF, although I only went for one day last night, just to get a feel of what happens during the RWMF. Managed to get in free as my aunt has contacts.

One thing I would have to say is that I do not have any photos from this event. My camera died on me and couldn't be started so no photos. I was so planning to make this into a photo post but guess not.

Went down to Damai Puri (the hotel that we stayed in for a night) in the afternoon and the Sarawak Cultural Village where the RWMF is being held is only a few minutes walk from the resort. We kinda forgot about the workshops that are held in the afternoon which is a shame as the workshops seemed interesting from their descriptions. We only went for the night where the music, booze and nearly naked people were having fun.

One thing you have to have in a rainforest is rain. We had lots of it. It was pouring! It wasn't much fun for me being drenched in the rain listening to some melancholic music (which was what was being played earlier in the concert). Good thing I had an umbrella and we bought ponchos as well. The mood began to pick up as more upbeat music were being played and the skies started to show mercy. There were a variety of instruments being player - bagpipe, violins, flutes, traditional instruments, and also a weird instrument being played by one member of the trio from England (no idea what the instrument is called).

We were there for nearly the whole night. We were there at around 8pm and stayed until the night ended at 12. Standing! My backing was aching by the time we started walking back. There was also this woman standing behind me who kept poking me with her umbrella. I move one step forward and she follows, poking me again with her umbrella. Annoying!

Well, it was what's expected from a live concert. Loud music, people screaming and dancing, and lots of muddy people. Fun...

Still, I would say, it's not my kind of thing. Maybe if it didn't rain...

No comments: