Thursday 7 July 2011

A patient collapsed in the waiting room….

….. and our reactions are completely slow!!!

This was what happened:

Someone rang insistently at the bell and I had to shout for someone to go attend to the hatch. The pre-reg went and then came straight in and was on the phone. While I was checking a prescription, a tech came to me and asked, “who fainted outside?”

I went what??? and walked out and saw a pregnant lady slumped on the floor. Then I went back in and said, “someone has fainted outside.” and the prereg tells me she’s on the phone to emergency services.

Our nominated first aiders had really slow reactions. They only decided to walk out when I was actually near to the patient! Then they did their first-aidy things while I went to see why the pre-reg was on the phone for so long. The operator on the phone wanted to know whether the patient was conscious, how old she was, blah blah blah.

Turns out, she was told by the first aider to call 999, when the number to call should have been 2222. Another tech just went to dial 2222, and told them there was patient fainted at the waiting room and they just straight away sent a crash team.

So, I went back to work, but my two “hardworking” first aiders still lingered outside doing god-knows-what. Why would you still need first aiders when the crash team has arrived? Why crowd over the patient? At this point I was quite annoyed because I was the only one actually doing accuracy checking!!

Patient was fitting and retching. Doc wanted to know why patient came into hospital. So we rang the ward and they said, “oh.. don’t worry. She does this all the time. We’ll come and get her.”

Patient miraculously revived. No more fits…

Apparently, she does this all the time. Every time the ward tries to discharge her, she fakes it. What we were wondering is why she had an outpatient script if she was still an inpatient at the hospital… weird…

What I want to know is…. WHY FAKE IT IN THE PHARMACY WAITING ROOM WHEN WE ARE ALL BUSY!!! GO PRETEND SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DON’T STEAL MY TECHNICIANS!!

But between the bell ringing and the first aiders actually going to help… i think it took about 5 mins… hahahahahha.. which is slow considering the first aider is just 2 secs away.

No comments: